Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson R2880 v. R3000, v. 3880 Paper Feed & Ink
In reply to Hugowolf, Dec 2, 2012

Hugowolf wrote:

Marv wrote:

I currently have an Epson R2880. My main gripe with this printer is the the rear sheet feed mechanism for fine art paper is very difficult to use. Unless the paper gets fed in perfectly straight, which most often does not happen, the printer will not print and requires multiple tries. I am thinking of replacing the printer with either a R3000 or 3880. I would like to know if this problem has been alleviated with these printers.

I can't comment on the r3000, but with the 3880 some users have a problem with the rear feed. I am not sure whether some users are more adept at the loading technique or whether there is some variance in feeder tolerances. There is always the possibility of using the sheet feeder for everything, although it goes against Epson’s recommendations.

For my 3880, normally it is first time through. I have maybe one sheet in a hundred that is difficult to feed, and when it happens it can take several attempts to load it. Timing with the sheet grab mechanism is as important as squareness and skewness.

Also, if I print only a few large prints per month would I have a problem with the inks in the very large capacity cartiridges of the 3880 either drying out or clogging as opposed to the smaller cartidges of the R3000?

Epson recommends six months after cartridge installation. But cartridge use varies greatly by ink color. Since getting a larger format printer, there have certainly been some 3880 inks in there much longer. There have been reports by some users of inks still performing fine after two years.

Brian A

I'm still on my original set of inks from 2 years ago when I bought the 3880.  My prints now match prints from the first week of use.  No clogging or other issues either

Sal.

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow