Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
silent tim
Contributing MemberPosts: 672Gear list
Like?
D7000 in the hands of a beginner for a year
Dec 2, 2012

Almost to this day a year ago I got my first DSLR, a D7000 with 18-105.

I have slowly built up a little collection of lenses (gearlist in profile for details) and feel like I'm at a point where I feel like I have all my bases covered for what I use it for, and although the basic fundamentals of exposure were simple enough to pick up I am still trying to improve composition (and failing most times!).

Just for fun I thought I'd pick a favourite shot per lens, feel free to share yours

A friend lent me his D7000 and 50 1.4D (well he handed it to me the night before his wedding and asked me to shoot the day, and six months later I got my own), I took it to Scotland for a week of learning how to fly fish while my father (blue) was visiting the country:

My first lens was the 35 1.8 a week after getting my D7000, this is a little out of focus as my sister was trying to pose with her daughter but she was more interested in my camera:

I had an itch for something with more reach, enter the cheap and cheerful 55-200 which was handy at a nature park:

Feeling more comfortable with the camera and after much research and reading reviews I ended up with a sigma 17-50 2.8, which is my general walkabout/holiday lens (there is a fourth dog but he was camera shy:

I was using a set of polaroid extension tubes with the 55-200 for macro's, and although it was ok I finally decided to get the 105 2.8, here's my 15 year old enjoying some sunshine:

I had an itch for a little more reach than 200mm, which resulted in a tamron 70-300 landing on my doorstep, and a moon shot with a subtle difference:

Finally, my last acquisition, the sigma 8-16 for sillyness, shot from my garden just to test it out on the night sky:

Overall it's been an enjoyable journey of knowledge and discovery, with so much more to explore (strobist stuff is still voodoo but with practice it's becoming more manageable).

Thanks for scrolling down this far, and again please feel free to share your own and show me how it's meant to be done

silent tim's gear list:silent tim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow