OMD vs LS465 Point and shoot ($1500 vs $90))

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MMitchellorg
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
OMD vs LS465 Point and shoot ($1500 vs $90))
Dec 2, 2012

Done with OMD my street work

While in Paris studying I’ve been shooting on the street with an OMD EM5. I own the 45mm and the 14mm pany. It’s been great and I hate my OMD/ Love it

I hate the Viewfinder

But I love the image stabilization, which is the best on the market, and I hand hold lots of long exposures.

Well,

I needed a compact so I saw the Optio LS 465. I researched it and the first image that came up was the one with the compact surrounded by lipstick. I also saw that the camera was not sold in the United States and got virtually no presents online. I couldn’t find a single good piece of information on this then finally I found a video with a Japanese man talking about the camera. The video wasn’t in English but it was really interesting for a 10-minute video.

The camera has changing faceplates and also is strangely in the 16/9 screen and when you shoot 16/9 it cuts down from 16 MP to 12 MP…

It’s not bad though there is a green bottom and when I want 4/3 I press it and the camera goes in auto mode but you get less view on the LCD. So…

Yeah I wish the screen was just in 4/3 format… but fu..k it you can’t have everything. The camera came with lots of extras. I bought it from FNAC for 100 euros and got a mini tri pod, (really great quality) necklace add on, small soft carring case, wristlet and the 4gb card which is nice so I don’t have to put one of my 32gb cards in there.

(Side note) – What’s funny is the camera has a record button for video and when the OMD came out everyone was raving about this little button and I have to say I use it often.

So what I’m getting at.

Through my travels and studies having this little guy in my pocket has meant a lot. My Android phone has been dead for a long time now and this camera takes great (soft, low quality, terrible pictures.) but shooting in JPEG is great. As a student I shoot everyday and my Mac is so full I edit in lightroom and the next week I move the folder off my computer onto a drive then back to my Mac when I need a certain pic. The process takes hours.

Now with this little guy sometime when I have the OMD-EM5 $1500 on my back I take out my $90 point and shoot for a picture cause I after I’m done I open it up in Color Efex 4 and edit straight to the picture then upload it right away.

I sold my Fuji X10 for the OMD and now I have another small camera I’m starting to prefer it to my OMD of course it will NEVER replace my OMD but look at the files from the finished product. What’s great about these pictures is how fast I can produce them.

-- hide signature --

MMitchell.org

MMitchellorg's gear list:MMitchellorg's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Pentax Optio LS465
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow