Heavy D800 = I Need A New Tripod Ball Head

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,580Gear list
Like?
Re: OOPS!
In reply to Ansel Spear, Dec 2, 2012

I agree with Ansel.  Good heads aren't cheap. If you want a head that won't move, droop, when you set it, you need to buy a good head. Markins is certainly known as one of the better ones.

I use Acratech GP heads, found at this link. Their cheapest model is the Ultimate, at $289.  But, you'll need to buy some Arca-Swiss QR plates for your lenses and camera. Arca-Swiss are pretty much the standard QR, used by many of the top heads.   I haven't used the Ultimate, but I assume that it is as solid as the GP series heads that I do use.  Mine don't droop or move at all, once set.  Once you get a good head like that, you'll never be satisfied with another.  I replaced 2 Manfrotto 490 ballheads with the Acratechs, because I got so frustrated with the Manfrottos drooping every time I used them. IIRC, the Manfrottos cost me around $200 ea...

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow