CAREER IN PHOTOGRAPHY.. IS IT THAT TOUGH????

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Questions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,637
Like?
The reality is a bit different. It is a hard profession to be involved with.
In reply to vishal540, Dec 2, 2012

I enjoy wildlife and close macros too, and I am very impressed at what you've captured with a coolpix, but...

No one pays money for that style of photography.

In the extreme, National Geographic pays well for wildlife, close macro, and nature photographers, a distant relative of mine is a NatGeo photographer, but they employ maybe ten to fifteen photographers, out of tens of thousands that apply for positions with them, and most of those applying are seasoned pros with decades of experience.

The basic staples of a pro photographer are weddings, events, or news. And to make money at that, you won't be doing the sort of slow, carefully considered shots you do well with. I've done a couple of weddings, and they are not fun. You are extremely busy at weddings, you are dealing with people that fuss and complain a lot, and your business success will depend as much on your interpersonal and persuasion skills as anything. Taking the actual photograph is maybe 1/5 of the work you do, the rest is consumed with getting the shot list, finding all of the people, and being at the right place at the right time with fully functional equipment.

Weddings are a lot of work for not great pay - a single wedding ends up consuming about five days of time, by the time you've talked to the clients, been to the rehearsal, been to the wedding, PP'd all of the shots, and presented the final product. Plus the transportation costs to get to all of those places.

It's a hectic life, and not the most stable profession. My impression is that it's more pleasant to dream about it than to live it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow