Factory Cleaning of D7000 didn't do the job. What next?

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
Factory Cleaning of D7000 didn't do the job. What next?
Dec 1, 2012

Like many others, I have been plagued with dust &/or oil on my sensor. After two attempts at cleaning the sensor by my local dealer, I asked them to send it to Nikon. It was gone almost a month and came back with pretty much the same problem. A bit better, perhaps, but still flawed.

Here is an image from Oct 30, prior to the factory cleaning. The shot was taken immediately after my dealer cleaned the sensor ... twice. Aperture was f/33, & I hyped it by using 100% structure in Viveza and then an unsharp mask. Spots 1, 2 & 3 were still present after the factory cleaning. Others were gone.

This is post cleaning! Same PP in PS & Viveza. Since my lens could contribute to the problem, I took shots with both my 18-105 & my 70-300 mm. At least six spots showed up on both images and are presumed to be the result of dust/oil on the sensor. Spots 1, 2 & 3 were there on October 30. Spot 1 appears to be diminished, but this was shot at f/22, not f/33 as was the October shot. (Many of the spots from October are gone, indicating some progress.)

The only time the sensor was exposed to a non Nikon-controlled environment was when I picked up the camera and I replaced the 18-105 mm lens --- in the store and under the supervision of the store personnel.

It was exposed to a non-Nikon environment again when I changed to the 70-300 mm lens to isolate lens issues from sensor issues. (Picture not included.)

Any suggestions on what to do next? I am reluctant to spend another $150 and have the camera gone for another month. Do I have the basis to ask for my money back? Does anybody know if they will expedite a re-do? Any thoughts on what the probability of success would be on a second go-round?

Yes, I know I can PP the spots away, and in most cases that is okay. But I shouldn't have to. And in some cases, the PP would be detrimental to the image.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow