X-Pro1 & 35mm f1.4 - not as sharp as I was expecting...

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?
X-Pro1 & 35mm f1.4 - not as sharp as I was expecting...
Dec 1, 2012

I took delivery of the 35mm f1.4 lens yesterday (camera arrived a few days earlier) and I've been experimenting ever since. I know it's winter and the light is rubbish, and the light indoors is even worse, but I really expected this combination to knock my socks off and... well.. it doesn't really. I've owned an X100 for a while now and think I've got the hang of focussing it, but if there are some tricks peculiar to the X-Pro1 I'd be very grateful for pointers. However, I don't think it's technique that's the problem because I've tried various focus tests at various shutter speeds and apertures, shooting obliquely at a bar-code on a piece of paper. I can easily see the line that's sharpest, but it's just not *that* sharp. I've reset all the settings to defaults and repeated the experiments; didn't improve the results.

Incidentally, I initially thought it might be 'back-focussing' but in fact I think the focal point is accurate - I was just fooled by the phenomenon which causes the region in front of the focal point (closer to the camera) to blur more quickly than the region behind (which seems to go 'milky' before it becomes blurred).

I've seen very impressive examples posted on the internet of head & shoulders shots where the eyelashes have been razor sharp (outdoors on a sunny day, for sure), but I just don't really have confidence that mine is capable of that.

I'll try to find and print out a proper lens-test chart and be more scientific about my tests, but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions about techniques I should try, I'd be very grateful.

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow