From engaged enthusiasts to plain gullible.

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,932Gear list
Like?
Re: You are over-reacting..
In reply to PhotoKhan, Dec 1, 2012

:-)PhotoKhan wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

...mainly to the price it would appear. it's no reason to insult the members of this community. Bear in mind that review sites HAVE to find something to enter into the Con column lest they be accused of being a fanboi.

You simply have to put one of these on your own camera. You will be amazed. I believe your gripes about the price will take on some new perspective after that.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick, you're right: I do not own one (...and probably never will, as I find the range non-useful for my type of photography)

As such, I have to rely on reviewers and samples. Users, being "emotionally involved", are only relevant when considered as a large, significant "pool" sample.

To that extent I am taking due notice on how the lens scores a perfect "10" up until now on Fred Miranda...If it keeps an approximate score as the reviews samples grow from the current 12 to, say, 50 or 60 reviews, than I will incorporate that vector into my overall perception of the lens quality.

Meanwhile, and, again, not owning it, I can only but find extremely significant that one of the sites whose lenses evaluations I respect most, only gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 5 for its "Optical Quallity".

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Well, you can probably find a demo at a local camera shop is all I am saying. Who knows, you might become a standard zoom convert.

I can't explain the 100% rating at FM. They are likely not as sophisticated as DPR members.  As a matter of fact, I posted a thread recently reporting a significant anomally in the first copy I was shipped. I returned it and have received a significantly better lens.

I believe the hype here on DPR began when Canon released the MTFs for this lens. In this newest copy of the lens, I have seen nothing in the images to refute the MTFs.

Next came the Roger Cicala's gushings.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/canon-24-70-f2-8-ii-resolution-tests

My personal experience mirrors his reports for the most part.

Then came a few user reviews on DPR where they probably over-stepped a bit and said the lens was sharp across the frame. Being sharp is a relative term. If one compares the corner of the 2 24-70s, you can honestly say the 24-70 II's corners are sharp. Is there fall-off? Yep but not objectionably so especially if one is well acquainted with a variety of decent lenses. Even the vaunted Zeiss 21mm has fall-off.

As for vignetting, distortion and CA, I forget any of my lenses have those issues because I have the lens profile set to auto in ACR and all that gets fixed on the fly. All of my lenses take perfect pictures.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow