Kevin Omura
Senior MemberPosts: 1,614Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 vs. RX100 in dim light
In reply to ericN2, Dec 1, 2012

ericN2 wrote:

Kevin Omura wrote:

Michael She wrote:

Aren't there comparisons moot? The RX100 is 699.99 vs. 299.99 for the LX7... the RX100 has a $300.00 advantage!

Don't you mean disadvantage? There seemed to be something off with his RX100 everything was dark and blue, granted the LX7 was exhibiting the same underexposure I noticed with my FZ200 until I dialed in the exposure comp.

No - that possibly can be a bit misleading in a way - IF you have no idea of how it LOOKS in reality.. that shot was in a very dimly lit situation - depicting the kind of lighting that it WAS like back in old Victorian days - remember there was hardly any (maybe NONE in fact) lighting as we know it now..the whole exhibits of 20 or more situations is lit as it was - or as near as they think right - to 1900's days..it naturally produces that kind of lighting.. but as near as I can say at least - it is "as it was"...and the RX100 did reproduce it extremely well even having to use what is my max setting for ISO...6400.

The huge advantage I find with the RX100 is that since in good ol' UK we really are lucky to get very many of the old Kodak type "Sunny day" exposures... it's more likely we need to use a greatly worse setting for aperture/shutter than many other places.. but the RX gives me the big advantage that even if it has to push up ISO on a decent day, to maybe 200 or more...it will still give a VERY usable (for hand hold) combination.. much better than I've found with a great many other quite top degree sort of compacts..it just has so much more in hand.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

True unless you were actually there then you would have to interpret the results. However depending on the viewers experience that can possibly also be misleading.

Not sure how lighting in the Victorian age has changed unless the sun has gone through some form or colour shifting? In the examples posted there does not appear to be any flash used so not sure whether that is a relevant argument. Also in the Victorian era there was no colour film but hand colouring based on an artists interpretation did yield some fine results.

The other factor of course is our built in filtration, our brain automatically colour corrects when we shift lighting situations. In other words those really blue images that the Sony depicted would have been adjusted in our brains if we were actually there so that that level of blueness would not have been seen.

Same goes for sitting a room with incandescent lighting, our brain filters out a lot of the yellow that photographic equipment see at least in the film era where you got yellow images from daylight balanced film and slightly better results from tungsten based film. Now days digital cameras do all this 'heavy lifting' through automatic white balance algorithms and many do a really good job of it.

So spinning back to the examples posted. An experienced darkroom or electronic imaging tech will immediately zero in on known objects in a photograph if they were working on an image for publication. Therefore the first thing you would look for are knowns such as that Do Not Enter sign which you know is white and red. The keypad box is most likely aluminium so it would likely be silver and I can't say I've seen a Lexus of that shade of blue yet. Most likely how the lads at National Geographic do things since they were most likely not there when the photos they are publishing were taken either.

But as you surmise speed does matter and size too for that matter and on paper that Sony should be a real barn burner with the much larger sensor and that lovely Carl Zeiss T* lens. However it feels to me as if the firmware didn't quite do the hardware justice. Granted the FZ didn't exactly nail it either but I do find it did seem to depict the colours more accurately but went to the opposite extreme in terms of exposure. In either case nothing that probably couldn't be fixed with some post production tweaking. Something that the average end user may neither have the expertise or patience to undertake so I always find it useful to see these types of comparison.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +46 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow