5D3 + 50L + Outer AF points = Much Sadness

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Oxheart
Contributing MemberPosts: 876
Like?
Re: 5D3 + 50L + Outer AF points = Much Sadness
In reply to DFPanno, Dec 1, 2012

Hi -

I am one of the people on the POTN thread that had a bad 5D3 (w/ 35L). I returned it and got a different one - and it's spot on with 35L and 50/1.4 using the outer points on the right side now. So in my case, at least, it wasn't just an issue with fast primes - it was clearly the camera body.

And yes, the fastest way to see the problem is to setup a tripod, mirror lockup and all that good stuff, and just shoot a small set. Tape up a newspaper or whatever is convenient for a target and make sure lighting is very even and good (10 EV+). Shoot an image with each of your points that are level with your center point (I am all for not moving the camera, just change the focus point so  you can easily compare pictures in LR). If you compare images and the area that you focused on goes completely fuzzy and OOF, you will be able to see it very clearly and it will be 100% reproducible.

It doesn't take more than 15 minutes to test, once you know what you are looking for.

- Michelle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow