Time machine problem. Big

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
vdubreeze
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152
Like?
Re: MAY BE OF INTEREST TO THE MAC COMMUNITY
In reply to benross, Dec 1, 2012

I've developed a preference for having the TM target the same size as my internal system source, but I keep a pretty good headroom on the drive just out of habit (it's better for caching/large temp files, but a certain amount of that is just an old habit dying hard), but I agree you don't want the TM drive close to the source drive's file total size.

And alternating TM target drives is another thing that I've never understood why it wasn't right off the bat recommended by Apple.

I found that when the TM drive was twice the size I ended up with far more versions going way further back than I'd ever need.  Part of that also comes from having number of folders excluded from the backup in the TM prefs.  They already exist in plenty of other places, don't need them TM'd every day, especially with so much of it existing in at least one version on DropBox and SkyDrive as well, which I couldn't say a few years ago.   The way drives are these days 2 gigs costs barely more than 1, but I still end up partitioning it down for TM.  (I end up using two TM drives each partitioned for two computers).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow