Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,969Gear list
Like?
NEX-5N or SX50? What would you do?
Dec 1, 2012

I have the opportunity to purchase a nice used Sony NEX-5N OR a new Canon SX50 for the same price.  Not sure what to do.  I'm hoping that asking this is a Canon forum does not swing the answers just because of the brand.  I think you folks are more broadminded than that.

Anyway, it might help to know the other gear I have.  Canon T2i, 70-200/4 IS USM lens, Sigma 17-70mm lens, and 8mm fisheye lens.  I also have a Canon SX230 P&S camera.  From time to time I have considered entering the world of mirrorless or m4/3rds, mainly for the smaller size and weight.  I'm planning a trip to the SW in April, and it seems as though the 70-200mm lens might cover any of my tele needs.  So now I need to seriously consider the gear to cover all of the wonderful scenics/landscape options.....which should be the majority of shots taken.  I could see the NEX doing the job.

BUT....there there's utility factor of the wonderful SX50.  It's wider than the NEX's kit lens(which is the lens in the potential deal), and certainly blasts right by the 70-200mm tele DSLR lens for long focal lengths.

So then I guess the decision rests on the IQ of the NEX OR the SX50.  What would you do?  Is the IQ so apparently different that this answer is an easy one?  And please, keep the discussion to this specific gear.  The last thing I need is even more options right now.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow