Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,805Gear list
Like?
My first impressions of V2 in retail store
Dec 1, 2012

While doing some Christmas shopping this morning, I stopped into a Shutterbug camera storeĀ  and tried out the new V2 there. Here are my first impressions of the camera.

Handling is very different than V1 and much improved, IMO. The grip is relatively large for a camera this size and feels great in my large hand.

Hard controls appear high quality (not fiddly), and are well sized and placed without crowding on the camera body, (good if you have large fingers, like me).  I especially like the new control thumb wheel and  metal PSAM mode dial, which gives  the camera quick DSLR like handling. This control wheel has multifunction depending on shooting modes or playback and is a very welcome addition. I am sure others (including DPR), will agree.

Focusing was very fast and accurate in the store, which indicated to me there was enough light to utilize the PDAF instead of CDAF. I could not find a scene in the store that made for slow focusing.

I can't tell you how welcome the on-camera flash is. It's effective, discrete, and it's there!

I can't say anything definitive about the V2 image quality, because I could only view the images on the V2's  LCD, (which appears the same as the V1),  but  image quality appears to be at least, the equal of the V1, even at high ISOs. Pixel peeping shows more detail in the images that the V1  and perhaps greater dynamic range as well.  Color looked more saturated than the V1 at default settings. Exposure accuracy and AWB under the store lights was excellent.

It is obvious that Nikon designers put function over form with the V2, which is just the opposite of the V1 design. Overall, Nikon did an excellent job with the handling improvements in the V2 over the V1, and I predict photographers, (and hopefully reviewers), will love this camera for this reason.

My overall impression is that Nikon has a real winner with the V2!

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow