From engaged enthusiasts to plain gullible.

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,871Gear list
Like?
Re: From engaged enthusiasts to plain gullible.
In reply to jayrandomer, Dec 1, 2012

jayrandomer wrote:

The projected sales in the product-life cycle for a new lens in our days is multiple, multiple times that of a model launched back in 2002.

Even if design and production costs have marginally or moderately increased (...they can't have rocketed because the basic design and manufacture processes are evolutions, not radical departures from previous processes...), establishing such an huge mark-up for a new version of a sub-performing product can only be accounted to pure greed and the knowledge that the target market will be gullible enough to pay for it, no matter what.

Shame on Canon. Shame on us.

I can't argue about your conclusion that it's overpriced, but I don't quite get why "pure greed" is always the conclusion when something comes out more expensive than we want it to be. Canon isn't a not-for-profit camera collective, it's a company that is expected to pay its employees and make a profit for its investors.

Why would an entirely newly designed lens justify a premium of 30 to 35% over the previous model (70-200) and, just a couple of years later, a similar upgrade (...minus a newly designed IS, mind you... ) call for a 70 to 75% markup, except for the simple "we can get away with it" reason?.

I suspect the price is high to recoup the development expenses and provide for enough returns to justify those expenses in the first place.

New offers from the same models for each automobile manufacturers represent huge investments in design, manufacturing processes implementations and assembly line re-tooling and, yet, no one single brand would even think of crossing the 10/15% price increase threshold. Why?...because they couldn't get a way with it as clients would flock to other brand's, same segment, competing models.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow