Help updating an old Mac Pro

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
probert500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Replaced 2008 8-core Mac Pro with 2012 13" Macbook Pro = happy
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Dec 1, 2012

Majikthize wrote:

My new 13" non-Retina Macbook Pro (2.9GHz i7 with 512GB Vertex 4 SSD) exports JPEGs from 1D3 and 1Ds3 RAW files out of Aperture 50% faster than my 2.8GHz 8-core Mac Pro with SSD, 3-drive RAID 0 and ATI Radeon 4870 upgrade. My LaCie 2big Thunderbolt RAID 0 is 50% faster than my Mac Pro's internal RAID 0. Buh-bye big iron. I'm sure that a quad-core 2.6GHz i7 mini with FusionDrive or SSD would be even faster.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Your speed ratings are interesting and noted.  I use a  less sophisticated macpro set up and am happy with still image speed using multi layered files from a 5dmk2.  But speed is good and if my system ever fries I'll bear this in mind.

The issue comes when you get into video - the non discrete video card will bottleneck. The intel 4000 is mediocre and already slated for an upgrade by intel (what apple does is another story).  Video rendering times will be interminable, and since this is where the rendering will take place, cpu performance is moot.  This is an issue a friend of mine is dealing with with his 13" pro.

If I was the OP I'd reearch this more closely if he is getting more into video.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow