Nikon 14-24 refresh?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,945
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24 refresh?
In reply to Theodoros Fotometria, Dec 1, 2012

Yours is absolutely a valid point. However, while Nikon often designs lenses that meet your idea of the perfect design goal (doing everything pretty well and nothing poorly), like the 35/1.4G, which is about as balanced (tradeoff wise) as you can get, the 14-24 almost looks like a project of seeing how far they could push the sharpness/contrast while letting other things go. The reality is, I don't think a wide angle zoom like the 14-24 can be done without those tradeoffs, so your choice is either the 14-24 with it's limitations (which frankly can be worked around) or a Zeiss 15. Wide angle designs for DSLR cameras are the trickiest optically and thus contain the most tradeoffs. I applaud Nikon for going all out - it's that sort of thinking that keeps them on the leading edge, and I bet some things they learned in the process of the 14-24's creation will and probably has helped them with other lenses.

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow