Nikon 14-24 refresh?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,868Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24 refresh?
In reply to Theodoros Fotometria, Dec 1, 2012

I doesn't have Nikkor 14, so I can't comment on it, but my Nikkor 14-24 is more evenly sharp across the frame at 14mm than my Canon EF 14 f2.8 L II at any aperture. Distortion wise Canon is slightly better and I can comment on overal resolution as I don't have Nikkor to EOS adapter to test them on the same FF body. (I will likely buy one just because of Nikkor 14-24.)

That being said, testing both lenses and Samyang 14 f2.8 in EOS mount on NEX 7 (APS-C) body, Samyang has sharpest corners of them all.

Putting aside sample variation (my Canon EF 14 seems to be a bit dud), every of those lenses has some strengths and weaknesses. Samyang has by far biggest and complicated distortion, so it is not really good option for architecture or events (where AF is of a benefit too). Canon has lowest distortion and good flare resistance, but pronounced field curvature and softest corners. Nikkor is the best compromise IMO, adding flexibility of the zoom, and retaining great image quality, but it is also much bulkier and heavier. It might have weak flare resistance, but I have yet to get into situation where this will cause me problems.

Simply, each of those lenses is designed with some other priorities in mind, and it is senseless to say one is better than the other. For what it is, Nikkor 14-24 is a fantastic lens and my first choice for landscape photography. (if I am going for UWA-WA FL.)

I am using it even more than Zeiss 21 f2.8 ZE, mainly because Nikon D800E is better landscape camera than my Canon 5D MII, but also because the output results in terms of sharpness across the frame, are fully comparable. Even if I would have it in a Nikon mount, I will pick it instead of 14-24, only if I would know exactly that 21mm is the right FL, and where and when I have to be. Zeiss does have... well Zeiss way of rendering colors and fine microcontrast, and what I really appreciate - normal filter mount.

YMMV though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow