mac air for tethering

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
BobVell
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: mac air for tethering
In reply to Arvind Balaraman, Dec 1, 2012

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

How many of you ue mac air for tethering and processing laptop on the go. Any feedback on the performance is appreciated.

I don't use it for tethering, but I use my 11" Air (MacBookAir4,1 with a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7) as my main computer. LR4 runs acceptably fast; even MATLAB is great (my day job). Mine has the 256 internal SSD, and I usually use a 24" cinema display (and, of course, external HDs). To put this more in context, yes, it is slower and has worse graphics than current MBPs, new iMacs, and even new Minis. However, I gave up on my more recent MBP (which was noticeably faster) due to size.

The trade off is size/weight vs. performance, and I go for the former:

• I don't really notice whether the Air is in my bag or not
  • Battery life is great
  • Performance is surprisingly good
  • You can still work well on just 11" of screen real estate

Put another way, the only time I feel like I'm waiting for the computer is exporting JPG in LR4. But I rarely do that in the field; I'm usually more interested in seeing what the result looks like than exporting.

BobVell's gear list:BobVell's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow