Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
Wanted: K5 equiv. E-M5 sensored 4/3's body
Dec 1, 2012

Like a castaway adrift at sea, I'm sending out an SOS. Wanted: a K5 spec 4/3's body with Sony 16MP sensor and other Oly updates for around $1000. Same size as an E-xxx, weathersealed, pentaprism VF, IBIS, improved AF, articulated OLED and, once again, full usability with the excellent SWD 12-60 and 50-200 lenses.

I really enjoy my E-620, but the Sony sensor would provide great flexibility given its low noise/high ISO performance. Add a 2x teleconverter to the 50-200 and I'd now have a very sharp 800mm equiv. lens with fast AF for birding while also maintaining high shutter speeds by shooting at ISO 3200-6400. And it could track a bird in flight, imagine that.

And the 12-60 performance envelope would be equally expanded; imagine being able to reliably shoot with this lens at these same high ISO's?

So frustrating, Olympus builds great 4/3's bodies with outstanding IBIS, arguably the best zooms out there in the $1000 price range and now has a superb low-noise 16MP sensor available to cure their one former flaw.

The E-M5, nice as it is for a take anywhere, requires a bagful of pricey primes requiring a lot of lens swapping for proper performance. As importantly, it has no ability to track motion and is unable to fast-AF with quality 4/3's zooms. Fatal flaws as a main camera for this buyer.

Mission control to Olympus: put the pieces together and make a lot of people very happy. Oh yes, and sell a bunch of cameras and re-ignite sales of 4/3's lenses in the process.

Just makes too much sense for eccentric Oly, it'll never happen!

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-620 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow