Canon user here; curious about Leica lenses & IQ

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?
Not something I really understand...
In reply to Carbon111, Dec 1, 2012

Carbon111 wrote:

I have no beef with that. As I said, use what you like. I completely agree the photographer takes the pictures, not the camera. I've seen fantastic images come from all kinds of junky cameras and lenses...that's not really my point though.

I mentioned: "I'm a pixel-peeper and a bit of a gear head."

I extensively used the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, the 50mm f/1.2 L, the 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, and the 70-200 f/4 L. The "regular" Canon glass I used before "graduating" to these was even worse. These specific Canon lenses I used were soft in the corners and soft wide-open and in some cases displayed aberrations I found problematic. The only decent one in that group in my opinion was the 70-200 f/4 L.

Would the aforementioned softness or aberrations be a problem in most photographs? No, probably not. But, again, that wasn't my point.

My point is I didn't like that- so I'm using something different now that I don't have the same kinds of problems with.   [snip]

There have been plenty of great photographers who have been fanatical (and expert) about the technical aspects of photography, but always as a means to an end.  On these forums there seem to be lots of people who apparently are obsessive about technical stuff as an end in itself.  I don't really get why...

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow