Canon user here; curious about Leica lenses & IQ

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon user here; curious about Leica lenses & IQ
In reply to trale, Dec 1, 2012

I have the EF50mm f/1.2L, ostensibly an upgrade from the EF50mm f/1.4 micro USM and found it rather disappointing. I'd say the 50mm f/1.4, or at least my copy, is sharper. It's nowhere near the same class as a 50mm Summmilux ASPH or Summicron. The difference is clear, although handholding technique is the limiting factor more often than not. In any case, it's nor fair to compare Leica optics on a M9 to Canon optics on a 5DmkIII or equivalent, as the M9's lack of an anti-aliasing filter means sharper pictures at the expense of the occasional moiré. The fact the M9 does not have mirror slap and can thus take photos handheld at least one stop lower in shutter speed than an EOS also makes a difference.

Canon's wide-angles and normal lenses, apart from the TS-E, are relatively weak. Their telephotos are excellent, as is the new 24-70mm f/2.8L II (not that the older model was a slouch, despite its curvature of field). I find I seldom ever use the 50mm f/1.2L.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (http://www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow