Please clarify extender magnification for me...

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Seeley
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
Re: Please clarify extender magnification for me...
In reply to msowsun, Dec 1, 2012

msowsun wrote:

Most reviews say there is very little difference between the 1.4x II and 1.4x III. DPReview Forum Thread 1.4x II vs 1.4x III

The new 1.4x has more solid construction than the old one, but doesn't perform appreciably better.

On the other hand, most reviewers say the 2x III is noticeably better than the 2x II.

The-Digital-Picture review: 1.4x II Review

The image quality differences most easily noticed between the 1.4x II and the 1.4x III are:
The 1.4x III has less barrel distortion than the 1.4x II. This makes the center-of-the-frame details slightly smaller in a comparison. This difference will be most noticeable in the top crop shown in the ISO 12233 chart tool.
Anomalous dispersion glass elements are used in the Series III extenders to reduce chromatic aberration and increase resolution and contrast. The CA difference between the II and III is quite noticeable - pay close attention to this difference in the bottom ISO 12233 crops.
Less noticeable are the resolution and contrast differences, but some comparison examples do show improvements.

What do you see when looking at the 1.4x II vs 1.4x III Image Quality tests ? 1.4x Extender II vs 1.4x Extender III

Thanks msowsun!  I'd say the II looks sharper than the III in that comparison.!!!

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/
current kit: 5DmkIII, 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 2x II extender, 8x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow