Is the tripod collar required for the 70-200 F4 on a tripod?

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil Goble
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Is the tripod collar required for the 70-200 F4 on a tripod?
Dec 1, 2012

When the weight for this lens was communicated I wondered whether you could get by without a tripod collar and just attach the body directly to the tripod with the 70-200 F4 attached. The lens seems a wee bit too long and this would not be my preference, but I can pick the lens up tomorrow but they don't have any collars. I'm going to use it primarily for landscapes mounted on a tripod. The language on the Nikon site states:

"The RT-1 is an optional accessory tripod collar ring designed specifically for the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR lens. When shooting with a D-SLR and the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR lens, the RT-1 can be used to attach the lens to a tripod instead of attaching the camera's body directly to the tripod. Attaching the lens to the tripod instead of the D-SLR body can be done when additional support is desired, such as when shooting with a teleconverter."

I want to do my testing on a tripod, because I only have 15 days to return the lens if I have issues. Thoughts?

By the way, I would be using it with a D800.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow