Nikon 14-24 refresh?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24 refresh?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Dec 1, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Well no. If you want to shoot with the sun in the actual frame with any of the bulbous WA jobs, you're bascially screwed. The 10-24 does it with no problem at all while maintaining excellent contrast. Pretty annoying that FX has no answer for this.

Mont Cascade

The lens’ real trouble though isn’t with direct sun coming straight at it but it’s the light from the sides and corners that causes the problem. - that would be better example for the 14-24 flare or of the Nikkor’s resistance. though the sun is quite high and the 14-24 could have shot some flare arrow here.

I know it’s is a big topic for you and I mean it positively because you pointed out many times the Nikkor’s advantage. It would be great to have an fx lens with such a resistance.

The same for other uwas that also behave this way including the Tokina 11-16 and also with a filter in front of it. But we are back to compromises. priorities an d different kind of shooting everyone does. I for example chose the Tokina 11-16 for its optical properties although I had the option of choosing a lens that is more flare resistant in Sigma 8-16 I tested thoroughly and with 4 copies. It’s the only lens that comes to the same level with the Tokina despite some other differences. and the fact that I found it nicely resistant. For the next person it can be all different story and his/her priorities can be elsewhere. These days I would try the 11-16 ll with the change in its elements composition and probably exchanged my Tokina for it. – And would try the new Nikkor and perhaps again the Sigma. But it’s no more buying of dx lenses for me and the Tokina will be sold.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow