"Holy Trinity" of Lenses - advice needed

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: "Holy Trinity" of Lenses - advice needed
In reply to UnclePaulie, Dec 1, 2012

As a Nikon shooter (former or otherwise) you should know that there is only one "holy trinity" of lenses the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 f2.8 G series of professional lenses.  Even though I have what are sometimes referred to as the "poor man's holy trinity" Nikkors, the 28 1.8 - 50 1.8 - 85 1.8 G lenses, I know that there is only one real set of three coveted lenses.  

But seriously, as far as your choices, since you have the Olympus 12 f2, it makes sense for you to add the PL 25 1.4 and Olympus 45 1.8.  All three are excellent lenses.  If you're a zoom shooter, you may consider at some point one or both of the new Panasonic zooms, the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8.  Both are interesting, but if you had to choose one (they are pricey) I'd get the longer one as below 100mm you'll be better off with the faster primes than the 12-35 f2.8.  (An f2.8 max aperture is much more desirable on the longer 35-100).

You may consider keeping your 12-50 kit lens.  AFAIK, it's the only weather sealed lens that you'd have  and is useful for times when switching lenses is not practical.

If you have bunch of cash and don't mind MF, you might consider the incredible Voigtlander 25 0.95 over the PL 25 1.4.  I like both 25mm lenses, but much prefer the rendering of the 25 0.95.  It's one of the very sharpest lenses in m43, and obviously has the faster max aperture giving you tons of control over DOF.  Obviously MF will slow you down a bit, but you'll be rewarded with better images.  (I'm a bit biased though the Voigtlander 17.5 and 25 are the two lenses I want most for the video stuff I do with my GH2). Any the 25 0.95 is THE lens I lust after most on m43.

Voightlander 25 0.95 Flickr Group Pool (Fantastic images from this lens at below link.  You really should see these)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1505867@N20/pool/

Besides, the 25 0.95 also looks bad as* on the E-M5.

Voigtlander 25 0.95 on Olympus E-M5

I do hate show-offs, but that some serious gear

Anyway, good luck.  Look forward to seeing some great images from you.

Good luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow