Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
terrytoweling
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
What am I doing wrong?
Dec 1, 2012

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I have had an A77 since the beginning of this year graduating from an OVF SLR. I am constantly amazed by the quality, vibrancy and creativity of the shots the camera takes. For video my 35 and 50mm f1.8 SAL’s take amazing videos, people always comment on the sharpness and quality.

I have 5 different lenses (cheap but flexible) 35, 50, 16-50, 70-300 and a MD f4 70-210. I experiment with them, I choose to use the lens that matches the shots or video I want to shoot.

I own 2 cheap from charity shops flashes with optical slaves and mini tripods from the pound shop, some sweet wrappers as gels for fun.

A cheap diffuser pop on the pop up flash a gold/silver reflector £6.00 which was the same price as my spare battery.

Two mini white balance card sets, a hurricane blower a tripod/mono pod plus 1 cable and IR release.

Oh, and Friedman’s book which I printed and is very dog eared now.

I practice with the camera all the time, try different setting, do stupid things with it, like make a tracking dolly out of Lego.

I have damaged the mirror, but Sony fixed it in 5 days no questions asked.

With the 35mm I crop to a level that is quite staggering and still retain the detail.

Admittedly the ISO range is locked at a maximum of 800, but I have never needed higher as I adapt my shooting depending on the situation.

I have some interesting long exposures using ISO 50. Recently I was at a photography evening photographing outside a museum. The Instructor told me that the results would be rubbish. (His Nikon would not go down to 50.) He was quite amazed, he took the camera out of my hands, to try and find fault, but handed it back, saying “Well, impressive”.

So what am I doing wrong, I read this forum and apparently I own an expensive piece of junk, noisy, poor image quality. Apparently I need to spend massive amounts of money on a slower frame per second camera (you have to love the noise), completely different lenses or a completely different manufacturer.

What am I missing, I am off shooting tomorrow, looking for frost patterns on the trees and winter light from the low sun. I might even use jpg.

But am I wasting my time would I be better staying in and troll.

Ideas?

PS. My only real gripe is that I know the camera is limited by software.

Go on Sony release a firmware that turns all the whistles and bells on make it Troll proof.

terrytoweling's gear list:terrytoweling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow