Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cacophonic Visions
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: As an uninterested observer.....
In reply to Kodachrome200, Nov 30, 2012

Kodachrome200 wrote:

it is. he is totally right. Sony makes SLT 's not SLRs and EVFs just arent that good yet. also lens slection sucks. pentax is barely hanging on. they dont even make a full frame camera what the OP wants

For what the OP is asking, Sony has amazing FF lenses to cover each of them.

Sony HVL-F60M Flash

Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm, f/2.8ZA SSM

Sony 50mm f/1.4

Sony Alpha A99 24mp FF SLT

Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm, f/2.8ZA SSM

Sony 70-400mm, f4-5.6 G SSM

Along with accessories to cover the remotes and such. The EVF in the A99 is amazing. The A99 also nearly nullifies or negates most of the "disadvantages of SLTs" to the point of making them insignificant.  The lens selection might not have the ridiculous amounts of niche lenses and 2-3 copies of the same lenses in their lists to pad the numbers as Canon or Nikon do, but the important bases are more than covered with lenses that match or beat the others in IQ and quality for their particular category. Let's also not forget the entire Minolta lens library all the way back to 1985. Arguing that most of them are film lenses is moot, as there are plenty of Canon and Nikon film lenses still in use today as well, aside from the ones rendered obsolete due to mount changes.

The senseless Sony and SLT bashing in these forums seems to be the culmination of misinformation spread through brand hatred and ignorance. Those along with those insecure in their choices who feel the need to bash on anything that isn't what they chose. That and bloody trolls who spread hate and discontent for no reason aside from what sick satisfaction they get from making others angry or irritated.

Every brand has something to offer, whether or not it happens to be your cup of tea or not.

ToTheEnd wrote:

Hello all!

Long time... and lot of news. To make a long story short, I'm tired of Canon after having spent 10 or 15 years with it. Basically, very poor handling of AF with the 5DmII over 4 years and the price hike for the 5DmIII definitely convinced me that this company doesn't deserve any additional money from my side.

I'm turning to the community as, to be perfectly honest, I don't know Nikon. Of course, I read reviews and as Nikon is one of the main competitor of Canon, I believe they make great stuff. As I don't know this brand very well, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

This is my actual Canon material:

Canon SL580EX II Speedlite Flash

Canon Objektiv EF 16-35mm, f/2.8L II USM

Canon Objektiv EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Canon EOS 5D MKII, 21 Megapixel

Canon Objektiv EF 24-70mm, f/ 2.8 L USM

Canon Objektiv EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RS-80 N3

Canon RC-5

And I want to take this:

NIKON AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF-S 50mm F/1.4G

Nikon D800, 36.3 MP Body

NIKON AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D ED

NIKON MC-DC2

NIKON ML-L3

I don't need a Nikon Flash as now I have access to pro flashes (and D800 comes with a small flash anyway), don't need an extender and the 50mm 1.4 should be enough vs the Canon 1.2!

Now, is the remote MC-DC2 compatible with the D800? (not clear on the website)

As for lenses... to say the least, I found it very difficult to understand the naming convention of Nikon! Are those lenses OK? Are they equivalent to Canon L serie?

Thanks,

T

Cacophonic Visions's gear list:Cacophonic Visions's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow