New to DSLR and need your help

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Questions thread
EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
Re: New to DSLR and need your help
In reply to disneyfamilyfive, Nov 30, 2012

When I got my D90, the 18-105 came with it as a kit lens, and I immediately got the 35mm f/1.8 as a second lens for low-light/indoors shooting. No regrets, and from what you've posted you should do well with the same combination. (Some people would do better with a 50mm prime instead of the 35mm prime, but it sounds like you would be better off with the wider lens.)

I got the 50mm f/1.8D some time later as a third lens, but you might be better off with a 55-200 as a third lens. Or with waiting to see what more (if anything) you really need after using the first two lenses for a while.

I'd advise against getting the 18-200 instead of the 18-105. I just don't see it as being a good deal. A 18-105 + 55-200 combo would be cheaper, with the chief advantage of the 18-200 being convenience. In some cases that convenience is worth a lot, but yours doesn't sound like one of them.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow