Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lxcellent
Contributing MemberPosts: 747Gear list
Like?
When do you use the OVF (on X-Pro1)?
Nov 30, 2012

So, I am in the midst of trying out (via rental) the X-Pro1 for the weekend having never used it in the past.

I am evaluating as to whether I should make the investment in this system. I was close to getting a Canon 5D mk III when my research stumbled upon the X system. (I am a Canon 1D series user and was looking for a smaller/lighter system without sacrificing much in the way of image quality - thought the 5D was the only option in town until I started looking at the X system with the high speed primes.)

So far, the AF is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Truly. Don't let this be the reason you don't buy this camera. Trust me, as I am not a fanboy since I am only renting this thing.

There are some oddities in using it, but most of those will fade away as I get used to the interface. (I regularly go back and forth between several different 1D series bodies and two Panasonic M4/3 bodies. Though it cannot do many other things well, my brain seems to be able to map to different cameras seamlessly.)

The biggest question I have as I am using this rig (w/a 35mm) is when would I use the OVF over the EVF? I did a search of this forum and a couple people state that it is "faster to use." Huh? Seems to me that the limiting factor in speed is the AF not the EVF.

So, can someone tell me when they typically use the OVF? I feel like I am missing something...

lxcellent's gear list:lxcellent's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow