D800 Focus Problem Continues -- Your Insight Requested

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 386
D800 Focus Problem Continues -- Your Insight Requested
Nov 30, 2012

After two trips to Nikon to fix the left focus issue between July and October the camera is focusing worse than ever.  (There was a delay between trip one and trip two while Nikon Japan pondered the situation.  For me, the story that this problem is fixed is not proving true.

I have uploaded samples to Osthus.us/focus_test.

If you decide to have a look and help me out with your insights, you will find a big zip with about 20 images.  I have also uploaded a few sample JPEGs of some of the worst examples for anybody who does not want to download the big file to see the test series.

Test conditions:  Tripod mounted.  High shutter speed.  Defocus then focus via left, center then right sensors.  The photos of my 85 mm 1.4 were hand-held.

In the zip file you will see a couple of series of 3 shots where the target (mailbox) is centered in each of the three images.  What I did there is shoot left-sensor focus, lock and  re-center, center sensor; then right sensor focus, lock and recenter.  This was done to give me three shots with the target centered.  For good measure I simply shot left, center and right sensor images of the same target.

What I see:
-There is variation in focus across all sensors - The image sets where  all three shots were framed the same show a large variation in file size.  In some cases as much as 2 MB with the SAME SHOT.

I also tried normal shots like focusing on a red barn isolated against a blue sky; and the D800 could not reliably hit the side of the barn.

I would be grateful your insights.  Do I really have a focus problem or am I imagining this?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow