ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
johnosthus
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
D800 Focus Problem Continues -- Your Insight Requested
Nov 30, 2012

All,
After two trips to Nikon to fix the left focus issue between July and October the camera is focusing worse than ever.  (There was a delay between trip one and trip two while Nikon Japan pondered the situation.  For me, the story that this problem is fixed is not proving true.

I have uploaded samples to Osthus.us/focus_test.

If you decide to have a look and help me out with your insights, you will find a big zip with about 20 images.  I have also uploaded a few sample JPEGs of some of the worst examples for anybody who does not want to download the big file to see the test series.

Test conditions:  Tripod mounted.  High shutter speed.  Defocus then focus via left, center then right sensors.  The photos of my 85 mm 1.4 were hand-held.

In the zip file you will see a couple of series of 3 shots where the target (mailbox) is centered in each of the three images.  What I did there is shoot left-sensor focus, lock and  re-center, center sensor; then right sensor focus, lock and recenter.  This was done to give me three shots with the target centered.  For good measure I simply shot left, center and right sensor images of the same target.

What I see:
-There is variation in focus across all sensors - The image sets where  all three shots were framed the same show a large variation in file size.  In some cases as much as 2 MB with the SAME SHOT.

I also tried normal shots like focusing on a red barn isolated against a blue sky; and the D800 could not reliably hit the side of the barn.

I would be grateful your insights.  Do I really have a focus problem or am I imagining this?

Thanks,

John

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow