Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
Re: the six million dollar question!
In reply to boardsy, Nov 30, 2012

boardsy wrote:

Nell27 wrote:

boardsy wrote:

Nell27 wrote:

It's really very simple. Proper white balance gives you correct colors.

Again - "true" white is actually blue-ish daylight caused by the diffusion of sunlight through the earth's atmosphere (presumably?) i.e. just a different lighting environment. Why does a sodium-lit scene have to be edited to mimic this to be "correct"? That yellow cast was the correct color in that scene. You might not like that, and prefer true-blue white, which is fine - it's your choice, just like exposure or sharpening - but that does not make you more technical or correct (it does seem to make you a little more arrogant though ;-)).

Alan

Yes, "arrogant" is probably the perfect description for my comments. My apologies.

I keep forgetting this is a forum primarily for discussing equipment and any discussion about photography is probably a waste of time.

I bow to the experts here and, in the future, vow to keep my rude/uninformed comments to myself.

Thanks for repeatedly ignoring the substantive points I make, focusing instead on a parenthetical comment with added winking symbol, and being sarcastic with it.

Your original comment that I was addressing was, and I quote, "people who know something about photography (other than pushing a button) will see a problem" - this implies that you and others like you (who know something about photography) see a problem, of which the ignorant button-pushers are blithely unaware.

Either you are accusing me among others of being such an ignorant button-pusher, or you are deliberately ignoring my technical point (yes, made on a technical gear/discussion forum) for some evasive reason . I'll try it again, for a third time:

"True" white is actually blue-ish daylight caused by the diffusion of sunlight through the earth's atmosphere i.e. just a particular lighting environment. Why should this version of colour be a scientific standard? Sometimes it's more pleasing to use this as a reference/standard, sometimes not. I use it often. Sometimes anothe WB, or sepia-tone, or black and white work better. Why do you assume that blue daylight is the "correct" white/colour balance for every/any scene?

Are you going to address my point, like I did yours, or continue to ignore it?

Alan

I have no answer for you and can only provide the following quote:

"At its simplest – the reason we adjust white balance is to get the colors in your images as accurate as possible."
Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/introduction-to-white-balance#ixzz2DjP2fq2T

The white balance settings you use are entirely up to you and only you know what's best for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow