Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
Re: Really worth it?
In reply to Gully Foyle, Nov 30, 2012

Gully Foyle wrote:

Is the AF issue your only problem with Canon? You should expect issues with the D800/Nikon as well, maybe not AF but others that Nikon users are accustomed to and wouldn't report as problems but you might find them annoying to cope with. In other words, until you tried it yourself you'll never know. Is it really worth it? As someone else said, you'd probably be better off just buying a 5DIII and stick with what you know best.

The experience I had with the D800 (and D700, not mine, alas) is that it's a great machine but not flawless. For instance, why crop 1080p output to 95%? Or, there's no small RAW option, as in Canon. You shoot RAW at 36mp/14bit for maximum quality and in order to get smaller files you have to either compromise that or switch to .jpg. That's the Nikon way, Nikon shooters might not mind to comment it but you might find it frustrating. And with 75mb RAW files that might prove to be a major issue. Also I don't think Nikon is innovative in any way. Of course neither is Canon and probably that is to be expected from these two, but don't expect a whole new world of possibilities opening up with Nikon. SONY? Yeah, I wouldn't be so hesitant to dismiss it, but they're plenty innovative if you're willing to try. That of course depends on the workflow one does. But it definitely isn't such a compromise choice. And if you ask me, SONY plays strong in this business and they mean to stay. Consider, why produce the RX1? But agreed, they lack in lens options. Not in quality though.

I'm not a fan of any of the above brands. I was shooting Pentax and now I have switched to film. I'm considering digital of course but not yet. The simplicity of film still amuses me, big time!

Just my 2 cents.

d800 compressed raw at 14 bit is more like 50mb

there is no such thing as small raw. canon made it up for photographers who dont know better. the d800 provides cropped options and actually implement the feature quite well. Small raw files are demosaiced already and therefore DO NOT still possess the advantage of a raw file

on the sony count SLT's are not SLRs the disadvantages are significant id stay well away

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow