Scratched my 5Dm3 sensor

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,032Gear list
Like?
Not sure those are scratches...
In reply to Siddharth, Nov 30, 2012

I routinely clean my sensors in all 4 of my DSLRs whenever they need it.  That said, I usually only need to do it 2 or 3 times a year with my most heavily used camera.

What I see on your image does not look like scratches to me.  I could be wrong is suspect you may have just moved the dirt from left to right and deposited it all on the right side of the sensor without lifting it off.  For your sake, I hope it's just dirt.

I believe scratches would appear more distinct than these soft, blurry marks.  If you have a swab left, I would suggest swabbing from top to bottom on the right side, and see if the marks move. If they do, then they are obviously not scratches.

Moving dirt around without actually removing it is easy to do, especially if this was your first attempt at any sensor cleaning.

On another note, I believe the AA filter and the actual sensor are fused together like a sandwich in the newer Canon cameras, and thus must be replaced as a single unit (expensive).  If that is the case with the 5D Mk3, you don't want to do it. as it would be almost like purchasing a new camera.

If the spots are not able to be removed, I would be surprised if they would actually show up in images, unless you shoot at f22, and even then, it would be difficult to see them.  They are not easy to see even in your image above, without careful scrutiny.

Good luck.

Tim

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow