Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782
Like?
Need advice on potential iMac migration to SSD
Nov 30, 2012

I have been pondering the upgrade of a 2 year old iMac to SSD in order to speed things up.  Well, I recently received notification from Apple that they want to replace the 1 GB hard drive at no cost to me (apparently, they are failing too frequently).

I am wondering if Apple would install an SSD for me and waive the installation costs - as opposed to replacing the hard drive.  Who would I ask, the Apple store that would do the service or Apple Inc.?  I am guessing I would have to buy the SSD from them, which could lead to other problems as it doesn't seem they have many for sale in the online store.   However, I can get a 500 GB SSD from Sandisk at a reasonable cost.

Of course, the other option is to get the hard drive replaced and then migrate to SSD later.

Not having enough experience with SSD, I am wondering if a cold-turkey migration is the way to go or if I still need to have a reliable hard drive sitting around in case there are problems.

Suggestions on how to proceed are most appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow