My AF Fine tune settings for all top Nikon lenses after calibration

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,425Gear list
Like?
Re: ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
In reply to Andy Warren, Nov 30, 2012

Andy Warren wrote: The 'issue I have' is that Nikon don't seem to have told their staff about this AF Fine Tune requirement let alone their camera and especially D800/E users!

Nikon have loads of links to how to get good focus, such asd

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48334/kw/Focus%20accuracy

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51633/kw/Focus%20accuracy

In the D800/e instructions page 338 Nikon say "AF fine tuning is not recommended in most situations and may interfere with normal focus, use only when required".

Having looked at 902 links over an 8 year period and seen only 2 that followed Nikon's guidance on targets likely to achieve good AF, and not a single one out of 93 at dpreview complaining about D800 AF I have not the slightest hesitation is saying almost (not quite the same as all) complaints are backed up by evidence showing the testing was not to a reasonable standard.

If even 5% used reliable testing there would be good reason to challenge Nikon on quality control. With way below 1% using good testing maybe Nikon's quality quality control is much better than most "test chart testers" ability to test to a good standard.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow