Bahama birds, Haiti coast, Stage show entertainment (5N + 55-210)

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,155Gear list
Like?
Bahama birds, Haiti coast, Stage show entertainment (5N + 55-210)
Nov 30, 2012

Continuing my vacation pics from earlier in November, I've worked my way to the shots taken with the 55-210mm lens.  This lens was used often on this trip, as it often is for me, because I like to shoot wildlife and birds, but I also found it useful for more distant scenery and landscapes, and even tried it out at an indoor stage production on the ship.  Even though the 55-210mm lens is not particularly fast for this type of shooting, the 5N's high ISO ability can make up for much - I was shooting the production from a fair distance, about 70 feet, and cropping a bit.  There's definitely a little bit of all kinds of shots with this lens!  More to come too - I took far more than I can fit into one thread...

A Bahama mockingbird, larger than the North American variety (taken with the DH1758 1.7x teleextender) on Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Closeup of the big guy begging for food (DH1758 used)

This cute little guy in the Bahamas is a bananaquit (DH1758 used)

Another bananaquit hanging out on a thorny branch (DH1758 used)

Our ship, the Zuiderdam, parked in the gorgeous blue waters of Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Haiti is known as a desertified, overpopulated poor island, but on the far western tip, the landscape is still lush and very few people reside...quite a beautiful island, actually

Very small fishing villages hug the coast under the mountains along the western Haiti coast

Pulling away from Haiti, you can see how mountainous it is, and also how the clouds hover and grow over the island landmass

Our ship's captain, Christopher Turner, speaking on stage before the show (ISO2000)

Singing and dancing stage revue went through popular songs throughout the decades - a little bit of '60s here (ISO2500)

More singing and dancing...(ISO3200)

In case you couldn't tell, that's the Bugle Boy from Company C (ISO3200)

The Zuiderdam singers and dancers (ISO3200)

Comments, questions, critique welcome as always.

More vacation photos from this combo to come.

Hope you enjoyed!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow