RX100 - Video format

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 - Video format
In reply to Skuto, Nov 30, 2012

Skuto wrote:

The video codec used in both is exactly the same. There is no quality difference at all besides the difference in resolution, frame rate and bitrate.

The only difference between AVCHD and MP4 is the container format, and you can losslessy convert between the two with free software.

The allowed resolution and frame-rates in the RX100 differ, but this is purely a Sony decision. The highest AVCHD setting (180p50/60) will be out of spec for many portable or standalone devices. Technically, it's MP4 AVC at Level 4.2, whereas most devices only support up to level 4.1.

I'm sure you are right. I think the codec is called H.264.

My point is that with Adobe Premier Elements 11 you can do everything inside the same software. You can start with the 1080p60 video files directly from the RX100, create your project and finish with video files for any imaginable playing device.

If you choose to edit with Apple software, you have to "losslessy convert" with freeware before you can start a project. Besides being an extra step, you double the space required for storage, unless you delete the original.

The OP's question is "I see that the RX100 takes video in either AVCHD or MP4 format. ..... Which is the 'best' one to use.  By 'best' I mean considering the trade off between 'ease of use/processing' and 'quality of the final product'. ..... this video will mostly end up on Facebook...."

The answer is to permanently set the RX100 to shoot in MP4.  There are a few less lines per inch, but if the goal is Facebook via Apple software, it works.  In fact, if the goal really is Facebook, the OP's daughter may be better off not having this camera at all.  Her iPhone will be far more "ease of use" with perfectly suitable final "quality".

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow