Sony a99 video is so bad that I'm starting to smell a conspiracy here. Locked

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Sony a99 video is so bad that I'm starting to smell a conspiracy here.
Nov 30, 2012

So of course I'm a huge troublemaker by starting threads or posting comments about the a99 having soft, non-detailed low resolution video.

But it's become more than that. To me it's very strange to have a complete stranger (Michael J or whatever) come at me with such venom; going through my profile pics (which I removed almost all of - I don't want this person looking at my kids' pics). Other long time members, even when shown conclusive proof, still deny any problems with the A99 video. I've been told they've shot "pin sharp" corporate videos yet when I request samples I don't get any. Now there are trolls creating accounts following these threads around, complete with inappropriate innuendo. Is this the twilight zone?

The Utah / Moab video. How bizarre is it that someone would intertwine razor sharp D800 video with the a99? It was so easy to point out which shots were a99 shots. I broke down each timeframe that was a99 footage and commented about it on Youtube, and my comments were deleted. Other comments here on the boards have gone unanswered.

I'm seeing videos with lots of moire and aliasing, like the Charles Michel video, then later it was revealed to be recorded with an external recorder, the Atomos Ninja. "The Calling" video was shot in all the most exotic places in the world, and is predominately "shallow DOF" to take the viewer away from the poor deep DOF performance of the a99. In fact I would argue the only sharp sequence in that video is the guy drinking wine with the sunlight peeking in, towards the middle.  Download the original version on Vimeo and play it back on your television, and pause it.

Tonight someone posted a time-lapse video shot with the a99, which looks good save the first two scenes. Why? It's still pictures put in a sequence and output to video. Was this a Sony shill making people believe that time-lapse video is indicative of how their footage will look?  Are they trying desperately to obfuscate the true video capabilities of their just-launched A99 + VG900?

Any a99 video you watch that impresses you - take note. You will see distracting things in the frame, like waterfalls, sunsets, extremely shallow DOF shots, etc. to take the viewer's eye away from how poor the detail really is.  Lots of pretty sunrises and sunsets that show good dynamic range but void of any detail. I'm noticing a trend of intermixed "time lapse" footage to make the video appear sharper. It's not.

See this video? Clearly this was a Sony marketing demonstration. It WAS available in 1080p, and it shows the pulsing and noise of the a99 video and IS in video mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-72F5xHrQ

A couple of weeks ago it was on Youtube in 1080p. Now only 720p. Why?

Lastly for tonight, if you want to see pretty much what the video footage looks like (not my video and the music is very annoying) have a look here. Look at the lack of detail everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezsh4o3bH3A

The a99 is a fantastic STILLS camera. If you buy it for the video features (which is very widely marketed for) you WILL be disappointed.

That is all.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow