RX100 - Video format

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 - Video format
In reply to Abrak, Nov 30, 2012

Abrak wrote:

I see that the RX100 takes video in either AVCHD or MP4 format. I, unfortunately know next to nothing about video. Which is the 'best' one to use.

By 'best' I mean considering the trade off between 'ease of use/processing' and 'quality of the final product'. It is probably fair to say that this video will mostly end up on Facebook and she will not be making a movie.

She has the usual range of MAC products if that is relevent - a Macbook Pro, ipad and iphone and would like to view the video on all 3 (and process on the ipad if possible (software?)). In particular, she is going on a 6 month trip round Asia in January and may or may not take her lap top.

AVCHD is a Sony and Panasonic format.  Apple was not included.  It is related to Blu-Ray formats.  I have not read of anyone having a seamless experience with AVCHD on Apple equipment, especially the 1080p60/50 version of AVCHD 2.0.  I may be wrong, but I think Apple would have to  pay the AVCHD people to be able to use it in their software.

The single solution I am aware of in 2012 is Adobe.  As a third party, they have somehow solved the problem, perhaps by buying the license.  Adobe's bottom line product, Premier Elements 11, runs on a Mac, is easy to use and has full AVCHD functionality.

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow