Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking To Replace 18-55mm VR Kit Lens
In reply to mistermejia, Nov 30, 2012

mistermejia wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

I had the 18-55 and sold it to get the 16-85 and honestly this is the lens i use more now. But unless you are pixle peeping all the time you won't see a HUUUGE difference between the kit lens and the 16-85. My favorite is still the Rokinon 85mm. As a matter of fact i have the Nikon 35 1.8G and i am thinking of selling that one beause is the lens i use LESS, and just keep the 50 1.8D and of course i will never sell my Rokinon.

On the other hand i see you did say you cannot afford the Nikon 85 1.8G which cost $500 dollars, but the 16-85 cost even more so how would you be doing that if you say your budget is $300? On the other hand, for a little bit more than 100 you can get the 16-85 USED, i got mine on Craigslist for $440, is a great lens overall, has metal mount, well balanced, faster than the kit lens and darn SHARP.

If by "faster" you mean aperture-wise, the 16-85 is not faster than the kit lens, they are the same.

correct, i did not mean to say faster as in apperture but as faster focusing speed and more responsive than the kit lens.

Buzz Lightyear, the 35mm is NOT a portrait lens AND it is not wide enough at all for landscape. That lens is just like a walk around lens. On DX i find this lens a very ackward focal range.

If you want to get into portrait i will tell you straight, get the Bokeh King Rokinon for $300 dollars, you WON'T regreat it, unless you do have a problem with manual focusing. Other than that i would probably recomend any of the 50mm lenses. I still have and love my 50 1.8D. If you are planning on taking portrait photos of people with the 35mm you are going to be right on the person's face. That's not a good idea

In reading some of the reviews on the 35mm, it seems some evaluators thought it was a nice portrait lens (maybe because of the nice bokeh possible).  I don't know.  Funny thing is I have also seen posters on this forum who say the 50mm lens to also be a "very ackward focal range", although I'm not sure what is meant by that statement.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow