Looking To Replace 18-55mm VR Kit Lens

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking To Replace 18-55mm VR Kit Lens
In reply to io_bg, Nov 30, 2012

io_bg wrote:

If you need better and more bokeh, then don't buy a zoom. Although the 18-105mm and the 16-85mm are better than the 18-55, they probably won't produce better bokeh (I've the 18-105 so I'm speaking from experience). I think the best choice would be the 35mm f/1.8 - a great little lens. Although it's not a bokeh machine it's excellent for its price.

This is my dilemma: I think I am leaning slightly toward the 16-85 - mostly because I do a lot of landscape photography and would like a better zoom with greater wide angle and telephoto abilities than my kit lens.  However, what appeals to me about the 35mm/f1.8 is that I could still keep my kit lens and also have what I think would be a great portrait lens (which I am starting to do more of).  I am conflicted, however, because I might be giving up having a better landscape tool if I went for the 35mm/f1.8!

O course I don't really expect any of you to solve my delemma for me, but it would be helpful if you have any information to answer:

1.  Is the 16-85 that much better a lens that the kit lens (i.e., resolution, IQ, chromatic abberation, etc.)?

2.  Tell me more about the 35mm/f1.8 lens.  What would I be gaining by having this lens, that I could not do with the 16-85?

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow