Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,067Gear list
Like?
DP2M Arrived...
Nov 29, 2012

Yesterday. But it was about 40C degrees – in the OFFICE ‘cos the air conditioning is busted – so I haven’t done a lot with it yet.

First impressions:

It really needs a grip. I have no idea why Sigma is so opposed to putting a well-designed grip on its compact cameras (they did a brilliant job on the SD1’s body) – so I’ll have to decide between the Franiec grip and the L-bracket one. The Franiec design looks very comfortable – but I really don’t like the way it covers the Sigma logo. I would have thought he might have worked out how to at least leave a window or something to allow it to be seen.

The lens hood doesn’t allow for the attachment of the lens cap! That design must have been dropped in the too-hard-basket. I think even I could have work out a way to accommodate it. Anyway, it's not a big issue as I have a UV filter to protect the lens.

I still miss the MASP dial on the top deck as it allows the user to instantly see what shooting mode they’re in – without having to turn on the camera. But the info in the viewfinder and the menu system is done beautifully.

The battery charger is ALL WRONG! When I first put the battery in the charger, the light come on Green, so I thought: ‘Oh good, it’s charged’ and then put it in the camera. The power died a few minutes later. Why change the paradigm? – Red for charging and Green (or OFF) for Charged!Anyway, that’s just a small niggle.

As I have yet to take any serious photos, I can’t comment on the IQ or development workflow and speed in SPP. But I’ll keep you posted.

Overall I'm pretty stoked and chaffing at the bit to get out a do some serious landscape work.

BTW: Does anyone have a suggestion for a camera bag that can take two DP cameras (a DP1 and the new DP2M)? My old bag that happily took my DP1 and DP2x is now bursting at the seems with just the new DP2M.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2x Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow