Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gadgetmann
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Lens advice for D700 owner
Nov 29, 2012

I've recently upgraded to a D700 and purchased it with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens and bought an additional 50mm f1.8

I wanted to go FF because I'm doing occasional weddings and needed the better ISO performance than I used to have.  I'm not a full time pro though and will never be.

The problem is that I haven't been very happy with the sharpness of the Tamron when at f2.8 at all.  Images are visibly soft.  The lens is acceptable at f4 and sharp at 4.5 and beyond.

Obviously I'd love the Nikon 24-70 and I've read good things about the newer Tamron 24-70 VC but both are out of my price range at the moment.

So would it be a sensible move to get the 24-85 f3.5-4.5 VR?  OK I lose just over a stop but then what's the point in having a 2.8 lens if I am unhappy using it at 2.8?  I'm amazed at the D700's ISO capability so I'm happy to compensate by upping my ISO or lowering my shutter speed since I'd have VR if I am in a dim church.  If things get REALLY bad, I can always swap to my 50mm.

Financially it might not make the most sense but I'm finding I don't want to use the Tamron because I do not have confidence in it and prefer to use the 50.  I'd like a mid range zoom though that I do have confidence in.

Is there anything I haven't considered?

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow