Remeber when?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
Re: Remember when?
In reply to Les Berkley, Nov 29, 2012

Les Berkley wrote:

Yeah, boy, those were the days. Way back in 2004. Ancient times. In fact, I can remember the Photo Paleolithic era before digital, when you bought a camera and used it until it was no longer economical to repair. When the word upgrade was used to refer to skills, advertising, etc. Why shucks, nobody even bothered to mention 'resale value' when they bought lenses. Can you imagine?

Then came gearheads. Oh, we always had the 'testers' with their endless lens comparisons, but you didn't hear much about them unless you joined some local Leica club. Now the Internet is swamped with back-focus, front-focus, 'bokeh' and Eye-Cue. "The Canikontex D1 Mk IV is two-year-old technology. We have to upgrade." Upgrade. Upgrade. We need ISO 6400 to take pictures of cats and brick walls. Serious high-end pros may need to keep up with tech; clients want it. The other 99%? I'm a Nikon shooter, but that original 5D was a hell of a great camera. For studio work, it's still tough to beat.

Want to know who to blame for the low prices on antique digital gear. You know, stuff that's more than three years old? Look in the mirror guys. Look at this site. Newer! Better! Improved! That camera is, like, so 2010. People read this stuff and take it seriously!

The difference from film cameras to now is that it was the "sensor" that changed every 12 or 24 or 36 shots. From roll to roll to roll you could select a different /brand/ of film, that gave you different colour, saturation, grain etc etc. It was the film that got the attention. And when film technology improved (less grain at same ASA/ISO speed or whatever), people sped to upgrade their images with new film tech.

Now, the film and camera are part and parcel. To change the film, you have to change the entire camera. And for the most part, it's still the "film" that is improving, not necessarily the camera itself. Camera bodies are still only seeing evolutionary improvements. Mostly with ergonomics and new buttons with the advent of video etc.  I would love to keep my D3s forever, but time marches on and DR improves as does the benefits of having higher resolution. If I could swap out my sensor for $750 every two years I would in a heartbeat. But there is a $4250 camera attached to the sensor that gets in the way. (Nikon Rumors reported a year or so ago a patent for DSLR sensor swapping, so who knows?!).

Upgrading for me isn't about upgrading for the sake of newer, or me thinking that the evolutionary changes will catapult my photography. Upgrading is more about extracting maximum value for any given camera.  So that $5000 camera made money for me and paid itself off, and in the end I essentially rented it for $800 by the time I sell it. Buying and selling and upgrading is just another part of business now.

-- hide signature --

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow