Nikon 50mm f/1.8g not as sharp as Nikon 85mm f/1.8g

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
mbecke
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
Re: Nikon 50mm f/1.8g not as sharp as Nikon 85mm f/1.8g
In reply to ata3001, Nov 29, 2012

ata3001 wrote:

I have both of these lenses & the 50mm isn't as sharp or contrasty as the 85mm. I was under the impression that the 50 was one of the sharpest. I'm comparing these lenses on a tripod mounted D700 using MLU & a cable release & no filters on either lens. Comparing f/stops 1.8 thru f/16. The 85mm is a cut above in terms of image quality. Does anyone else see these same results? I bought both new.

Nonsense.    All these prime lenses are sharp and contrasty.    Some of the less expensive lenses need to be stopped down a bit to obtain maximum sharpness, but they are all sharp is used right.   Heck, I have a $70 Sigma 28-200 zoom lens that got awful reviews but is plenty sharp if used properly.    And I blow up my images on a high quality 27" monitor.     Look, these manufacturers don't produce unsharp lenses.    Learn how to use each lens properly and you will be much happier.    It's not the lens, pal.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow