An appropriate lens for bird photography?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bangers and Mash
Contributing MemberPosts: 993Gear list
Like?
An appropriate lens for bird photography?
Nov 29, 2012

I have developed an interest, over the past week, in pursuing bird photography after my visit to the Riparian Water Park Reserve. In order to photograph birds I am obviously in need of a long, well longer lens than the 40-150mm lens that I have now. There are two lenses that Olympus offers:

75-300mm for $899.99 (m4/3)

70-300mm for $399.99 (4/3). With this lens I would require the MMF-2 adapter for $169.98 which brings those two items up to $569.98

Panasonic also has a 100-300mm for $499.00 (m4/3)

Which lens to choose? Is the IQ of each these three lenses comparable? My guess, not knowing anything about these lenses is that the IQ of the more expensive 75-300mm lens to be more superior, but only based on its cost factor.

When you factor in the adapter with the less expensive 70-300mm lens it still comes up about $330.00 less expensive. Still, one would have the adapter for other lens purchases down the road if needed.

Another option would be to look into other lens manufacturers like Nikon, Sigma etc., and hope that there is an adapter allowing auto focus etc., but from what I have read so far that might be a problem. I had noticed one photographer at the reserve using a Sigma 150-500mm lens on his Nikon D7000. Full camera functions come to play for him with that lesn, but mounted on my E-P3, then there are issues, especially with auto focus.

Any thoughts on this? Are any of you doing this sort of photography, and what would you suggest that I do?

Thank you for your assistance.

Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow