ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarkusF
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
Panny G3/G5 to NEX-6: slower autofocus?
Nov 29, 2012

Hello everyone -

After years with a Nikon D200 and f2.8 zoom glass I "downsized" to a Panasonic G3 last year.  Main two reasons were to be able to do video of my children and to save size/weight.

Unfortunately, for creative shooting and even pictures of kids I want to use depth of field to get some subject isolation.  This is difficult with the smaller m4/3 sensors and "reasonable" zoom lenses that are available.  Because of this, I have been shooting video with the 14-42x pancake kit lens or 45-175x zoom lens then using some older 4/3 lenses for artistic purposes via an adapter.  Of course, by the time I do that - any size/weight savings are gone.  In order to improve my current m4/3 kit I'd really need to invest in the new Panasonic f2.8 zooms - which would cost over $2k total.

So - I've been strongly considering the new NEX-6.  I figure I can shoot video of the kids with the 16-50 pancake kit lens then use some old Sony Alpha 2.8 zoom lenses via the LEA-2 adapter for creative purposes.  I could probably do what I want here for the same $2k total I'm talking about above.

Only potential hangup:  I know the NEX-6 uses hybrid autofocus which is supposed to be faster than older NEX's.  But some of the initial reviews/comments I've seen seem to indicate that it is still not as fast as the autofocus in even the Panasonic G3/G5.  I've been fine with the autofocus of my G3 and the kit lens; surely you'd always like to get things a little faster but I just don't really want it to get worse.

Does anyone have any direct experience or good links on this that they can share?

Thanks!

- Mark

Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow