Got My EX1 on Tuesday, with a poor man's telephoto option!

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Signalz1123
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Got My EX1 on Tuesday, with a poor man's telephoto option!
Nov 29, 2012

I won't boar everyone with a long list of observations about my EX1 18-55 kit, as I think pretty much everything has been said by this point, both positive and negative.

I love mine entirely, but have to say the EVF is pretty much useless in bright sunlight. The menus give an option to adjust "LCD and EVF Brightness", but they are treated as a unit and the EVF's brightness does not seem to get appreciably brighter. My only hope is that Fuji or a 3rd party comes out with a more extended eye cup, but the one that's on there seems built in and non-removable.

Also, while waiting all these months for my kit to come in, I've been researching telephoto lens options as it seems Fujis 55-200 zoom will be many months off. I found almost no information on people experimenting with telephotos on their Xpro1s, so I did a lot of research on what might be a high quality, low cost telephoto solution. What I came up with was the Nikon 300mm 4.5 ED-IF, which was purported to be a razor sharp, small, light lens for it's day. So I started bidding on Ebay, and found that beaters go for around $100, while pristine ones go for about $375. I got a mechanically perfect one with some hood scratches for $180. I also bought a TC301 teleconverter for $85, as well as the Nikon Fotodiox adapter. So for a total of $265 on lenses, I have a 300mm and 600mm, (450mm to 900mm equivalent). I will be doing further tests and post when I have a chance to play with it, but I went out last night and did some quick moon shots on a tripod and they aren't all that bad in terms of CA with all that glass. I'm not even sure I had the focus totally nailed. I plan to test some hand-held wildlife shots this weekend (without the TC), but in general I think this is a good inexpensive telephoto option for outdoor/ nature ect. until the 55-200 comes out.

EX1 + Nikon 300mm ED-IF+ TC301 teleconverter

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow