Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LucaPCP
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
Tired of cameras with mis-aligned lenses
Nov 29, 2012

I just received my new LX7, and testing it, the lens is sharp to the edge on the left hand side, but somewhat fuzzy on the right hand side.  I repeated the test, turned the camera upside down, etc -- same result; the left (when the camera is correct-side up) portion of the image is very sharp, the right much less so.

I will be returning the camera for an exchange: as it is, it is not a significant improvement on my older cameras.  But I can't help feeling extremely frustrated.  ALL of my recent pocket cameras have suffered from mis-alignments from day 1.  My LX5 is also slightly better on one side than on the other; my XZ-1 as well... the only lenses that have been trouble-free are those for my DSLR.

I am sure Panasonic (and Olympus and all others) send cameras with perfectly centered lenses to dpreview for review, and instead we "normal" customers have to deal with the sloppy manufacturing.

What has your experience been?  Have you been luckier in your purchases?  Am I too picky really, and these mis-alignments are only to be expected?

-- hide signature --

Luca

LucaPCP's gear list:LucaPCP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow