Has E-M5 "hairline fracture" chilled prospective buyers?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,128Gear list
Like?
Has E-M5 "hairline fracture" chilled prospective buyers?
Nov 29, 2012

Just curious as it relates to Olympus' need to quickly get information out there on how they will back up their product with repairs as required.

I once again went back and forth with the Black Friday sales and ultimately decided to stay put with my E-PM1 and E-620.  The E-PM2/E-PL5's continued use of the tiny 2.3" usable screen area when used in native 4:3's finally drove the nail through the coffin in that sale, I simply refused to put up with that needless constraint in yet another camera.

And the many posts on the hairline fracture in the E-M5's screen bezel made it clear this is not a rare incidence and will effect resale value as well as potentially long term durability of the camera.  The $50 price reduction from $1000 MSRP was not enough for me to consider taking on this risk.

Both the E-PM2/E-PL5 and the E-M5 are outstanding products in a great many respects, much directly attributable to the greatness of their sensor.  But since 90% of my photos are landscapes taken in good light, and my durable E-620's JPEG's remain outstanding in color and quality, these combined with the above issues led to my sitting out another round to simply enjoy what I have.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow